DOWNTIME w/ David Delruelle
Brussels, Belgium 🇧🇪
2) Years collaging?
I’ve been doing it on a regular basis since 2012, but we've all experienced it as kids aren't we ?
3) What do you love and hate about collage?
As years go by I find myself cutting and pasting less and simplify my practice. These days I feel more like a cameraman, just suggesting details I want your attention to be drawn at. Taking time to stop and linger on simple things, what an image says and how it says it, the beauty of composition, shapes, lights. Having a break from the constant flow of informations we’re bathing in.
4) Biggest influences?
John Baldessari & John Stezaker.
5) Analog Vs Digital?
Both. Depends on the project.
6) How do you spend your downtime?
I’m a vinyl collector. I listen to a lot of music and go to live shows. I love to go to art galeries. Cinema is also a passion.
7) Three tips for someone starting out in collage?
- Don’t throw books or magazines, someday you’ll eventually find something your attention wasn’t focusing at in it.
- Flip the book upside down and let your eyes wonder.
- Take long walks.
8) Up and coming shows or projects we should know about?
Right now I'm working on a new analog series and another project that doesn't involve collage. I don't wish to communicate about these right now. No upcoming shows to announce yet for this year.
Artworks (top to bottom)
1. 20Y0, Hand cut Collage
2. Curtains, Hand cut Collage
3. Fear Of Double Vision, Hand cut Collage
4. The Mask, Hand cut Collage
5. Hand, Hand cut Collage
6. Lions Mouth, Hand cut Collage
7. Horse Power, Hand cut Collage
8. M, Hand cut Collage