DOWNTIME w/ Nic Supa
1) Location? Stanwood, Washington, USA 🇺🇸
2) Years collaging? About 5 years. I started my senior year of high school.
3) What do you love and hate about collage? I love rummaging through old magazines and even recycling bins… there’s a lot of cool patterns in bill envelopes. I could rip through magazines all day if I didn’t have other responsibilities. I hate that I sometimes feel guilty using other people’s photos for my work. Most the photos I use are very old but I’m always trying to collaborate with photographers and even use some of my own photos.
4) Biggest influences? Hmmm music influences me a lot. I find myself listening to Mndsgn or Knxwledge whenever I’m working. I recently watched The Florida Project and the colors in that film have inspired me for my recent pieces plus the story in that film is sooo good. I love films that pay close attention to dialogue and characters surroundings. Artists that have always influenced me are the illustrations of Antonio Aiello, the dood is crazy talented and his choice of color and content always inspire me. Also, photographer Blaise Cepis AKA itsalrightwerealright on Instagram. A lot of the magazines I cut from inspire me as well. Old advertisements are so much more interesting than they are now.
5) Analog Vs Digital? I say both. I like analog more just because I love working with my hands and creating something tangible but I sometimes find myself in Photoshop reworking things I can’t do by hand.
6) How do you spend your downtime? Listening to music, watching movies with my girl, hanging with my dogs, taking pictures, spending money on things I don’t need.
7) Three tips for someone starting out in collage?
1. Don’t force anything.
2. Adhesive tape is better than glue…
3. Reach out to artists you look up to.
8) Up and coming shows or projects we should know about? No shows at the moment although that would-be cool. I do have a mini zine coming out this summer.
Artworks (top to bottom)
'Beach International' Analogue collage on paper
'Soft' Analogue collage on paper
'Peach' Analogue collage on paper
'Research' Analogue collage on paper
'Fake Luv' Analogue collage on paper
'Untitled' Analogue collage on paper
'Superstore Jungle' Analogue collage on paper
'Solo' Analogue collage on paper