DOWNTIME w/ Hagar Vardimon
1) Location? Amsterdam, The Netherlands, where I run my own studio, working on my art and on commissioned work. I feel very fortunate to have a house in thecenter of the city. Our street ends on the Museumplein, the meeting point between the three most famous museums in Holland: Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum and the Stedelijk museum. A wonderful source of inspiration just outside my front door. 🇳🇱
2) Years collaging? Around ten years. In the beginning I started working with threads on paper. Using the threads like using ink or paint. I love the tangible feeling and depth that the threads are adding to the work. In the last year I'm working less with treads and focusing mainly on paper collage. I'm completely taken by the the material and the endless possibilities it gives.
3) What do you love and hate about collage? I love everything about collage. I love the creative process of telling a visual story. Every image that I pick has a story I want to tell. I’m looking into the shape, details, negative space around the image & colors. This process sometimes can be short but sometimes I'm coming back again and again to the same images until its getting clear. Besides, I love the search for a good photo, the hunt for old books and magazines and mainly finding a good inspiring image. I sometimes hate the amount of books and magazines around me that keeps piling up...
4) Biggest influences? Architecture, photography, fashion, jazz music, illustration, thriller books, nature and many wonderful artists I meet on the web.
5) Analog Vs Digital? Analog! I love the hand-cut paper collage. Its looks almost tactile. I use collage paper as I used threads on the paper, to create another layer on top the photos. Another dimension. A story on top of a story.
6) How do you spend your downtime? Family time, long walks, nature and reading.
7) Three tips for someone starting out in collage? 1. Experiment with new ideas and new materials as much as possible. 2. Know when to stop. 3. Have fun.
8) Up and coming shows or projects we should know about? Yes. In the coming months I'm participating in two group GoodEye gallery and in Art House gallery, both in L.A.
Artworks (top to bottom)
'Follow The Sun' Handcut collage
'Clouds In My Coffee' Handcut collage
'Arrangement' Handcut collage
'Floating' Handcut collage
'Let's Hide Away' Handcut collage
'All The Ways' Handcut collage
'It's Going To Be A Good Day' Handcut collage
'Going In Circles' Handcut collage