DOWNTIME w/ Sacha Cohen Tanugi (aka Itchi)
1) Location? Paris, France 🇫🇷
2) Years collaging? About 7 years
3) What do you love and hate about collage? I love everything about it. Collecting magazines, photos, papers, looking for stuff in the street.
Taking time to find the good images and playing with them until I find the perfect composition. Sometimes it just doesn't come, nothing you do is good and it can be really frustrating.
4) Biggest influences? Randomly : Russian constructivists, Julien Pacaud, Saul Leiter, Emmanuel Polanco, François Truffaut, Basquiat, Ravi Zupa, and all the great collagists I've discovered on the web.
5) Analog Vs Digital? Analog, always.
Sometimes I mix both techniques but I always start with handmade cutting and pasting.
6) How do you spend your downtime? Playing basketball or football, walking in the streets of Paris, eating cheese and drinking wine, making collages.
7) Three tips for someone starting out in collage? I think that the material you're using is important. Trying to find images that haven't been seen everywhere. And most important, let things happen and persevere even if you think it's no good.
8) Up and coming shows or projects we should know about? Last months have been crazy. I have my first solo show in Paris going on until the end of May, it's called "Hang Time". I'm also part of "CUTPASTE3" collective show in California and I've recently been commissioned to create dozens of collages for a five stars hotel that just opened in Paris!
Artworks (top to bottom)
'The Other Side' Analog Collage
'On' Analog Collage
'La_Fumeuse' Analog Collage
'Homme invisible' Analog Collage
'R' Analog Collage
'U5' Analog Collage
'Hang Time' Analog Collage