DOWNTIME w/ Nikolaus Dolman
1) Location? Sydney 🇦🇺
2) Years collaging? I’m not sure. I was sticking stickers on my chess of drawers and re-arranging fridge magnets at an early age.
3) What do you love and hate about collage? I love the freedom you have with everyday materials and I hate the prescribed idea surrounding collage having to be 2D and on paper.
4) Biggest influences? Artists: at the moment: Tony Garifalakis, Hito Steyerl, Banks Violette, Thomas Hirschorn, Urs Fischer, Karen Mirza, Simon Denny, Callum Morton, Jemma Egan, Neha Choksi, Charles Lim.
Music: This week: The Black Madonna, Fat White Family, No Zu and Iggy Pop are on high rotation amongst various mixes
Authors: Currently reading The Man Without A Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin written by Masha Gessen.
5) Analog Vs Digital? They both have qualities I enjoy. I’d say right now I more excited by the digital - animations and video work.
6) How do you spend your downtime? Reading, surfing and going to exhibitions and music events.
7) Three tips for someone starting out in collage? Get experimental and challenge current ideas, be relevant and forward thinking.
8) Up and coming shows or projects we should know about? I just recently had a work in the Firstdraft auction. Runway Australian Experimental Art Magazine commissioned me to make artwork for smart phone/ipad covers. It was for their annual commission project, and is free with signing up to their online publication. I'm in a group show coming up at Gaffa gallery titled: Rheology curated by Elyse Goldfinch. So I'm busy making new poster sculpture work right now.
Artworks (top to bottom)
All work is part of a series titled 'Clickbait'